Resources for Breastfeeding Mothers & Families: Breastfeeding Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I find...
...help and support with personal breastfeeding concerns?
- Consult your health care provider: locate physicians from the American Academy of Pediatrics or the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
- Find a Lactation Consultant
- Find a La Leche League Leader or Group
- Visit the WomensHealth.gov Breastfeeding section
- Call the National Women's Health and Breastfeeding Helpline
- Find breastfeeding support through your local WIC program
...information about breastfeeding and birth practices?
- Visit the online resources for parents provided by Lamaze International or the International Childbirth Education Association
- Read about the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
...a Baby-Friendly birth facility?
- View the current list of Baby-Friendly birth facilities in the U.S.
...information about breastfeeding with certain diseases and conditions?
...information about taking certain drugs or receiving vaccinations while breastfeeding your baby?
- Visit the National Library of Medicine's Drugs and Lactation Database
- Read guidance on vaccinations of nursing mothers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
...information about traveling with human milk or while lactating?
- Review the USBC Federal Legislation to Protect Breastfeeding Travelers webpage
...information on handling and storage of human milk?
- Read guidance on proper handling and storage of human milk from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
...information on donating human milk, or obtaining donor milk?
...help and support for breastfeeding mothers experiencing discrimination?
- Find information about your state's laws
- Learn about your rights in the workplace on the Center for WorkLife Law's Pregnant @ Work website
...information about your state's paid leave status?
- Visit A Better Balance's Comparative Chart of Paid Family and Medical Leave Laws in the United States
...data and statistics on breastfeeding in the United States?
- Download the latest Breastfeeding Report Card from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
...health professional associations' policies on breastfeeding?
- Find breastfeeding policy/position statements of USBC member organizations