National Breastfeeding Month 2020
Celebrated since 2011, when the USBC officially proclaimed August as National Breastfeeding Month (NBM), the 2020 NBM theme was Many Voices United.
Read below to learn more about 2020 weekly themes and their host organizations, as well as actions taken by the USBC and the field.
The month may be over, but the work continues!
Week 2 (August 9-15): Native Breastfeeding Week: Strong. Resilient. Latched.
Week 3 (August 16-24): Spotlight on Infant and Young Child Feeding in Emergencies
Week 4 (August 25-31): Black Breastfeeding Week: Revive. Restore. Reclaim
As part of USBC efforts to amplify and support the field, for National Breastfeeding Month 2020:
- The USBC released five on-demand webcast sessions, with free continuing education, as part of the "NBCC Reimagined" series.
- The USBC published four blog posts:
- 936 messages were sent to 238 legislators using USBC action tools- thank you!
- The USBC created an #NBM20 social media toolkit with sample posts and shareable graphics.
- The USBC Executive Director, Nikia Sankofa, and Deputy Director, Amelia Psmythe Seger, appeared on the latest episode of InCast, a podcast from Injoy Health Education.
- The episode "United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC): Its History, Today's Story, & Vision for the Future" features a discussion on the history of the USBC, the current work of the COVID-19 Infant & Young Child Feeding Constellation, and USBC goals for today and for the future to protect, promote, and support breastfeeding in the United States.
- In preparation for #NBM20, the USBC and the organizers of World Breastfeeding Week, Native Breastfeeding Week, and Black Breastfeeding Week hosted a virtual panel presentation on Tuesday, June 23.
- Presenters shared event origins, 2020 themes, and how to get involved in August and beyond. The session included an opportunity for questions, idea sharing, and general discussion with event organizers. This session was hosted as part of the USBC Collective Impact Webinar series.
Find National Breastfeeding Month posters, postcards, and more in the USBC Store: