Lactation Support Providers (LSP) Constellation
Steward: United States Breastfeeding Committee (Amelia Psmythe)
The first of the USBC-affiliated Constellations, this group was first convened in June 2014 for an in-person meeting, with funding support for the Centers of Disease Control & Prevention. At this meeting the participants agreed on the Declaration of Intent and Priority Strategies listed below.
Declaration of Intent:
"Whereas all mothers & babies have a right to access to trained lactation support to reach their goals;
Whereas all lactation support providers bring value to the landscape of care;
Therefore we agree to work collaboratively to influence opportunities for change to increase access to lactation support."
Constellation Priority Strategies:
- Expand training and mentoring opportunities, particularly to increase the number of racial/ethnic minority care providers
- Create a public directory of lactation trainings to increase visibility and understanding of all types of trained providers.
- Increase access to mentoring opportunities, particularly for individuals of color, to enter into and grow within the lactation field, recognizing that mentoring can take multiple forms.
- Partner with coalitions to identify and support implementation of state mechanisms to expand access to breastfeeding support through Medicaid, and to expand the network of providers allowed to provide lactation care in each state.
- Expand implementation of innovative models that cross the continuum of lactation support providers, e.g., teams of providers working together using “incident to” billing.
Baseline strategy: Maximize access to breastfeeding support through the Women’s & Children’s Preventive Services definitions and guidance.
Academy of Lactation Policy & Practice
Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs
Black Mothers Breastfeeding Association
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
Childbirth and Postpartum Professionals Association
Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau
Healthy Children Project
International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners
La Leche League USA
Lactation Consultant Services
Lactation Education Accreditation & Approval Review Committee
Lactation Education Consultants
Lactation Education Resources
National Association of County & City Health Officials
National Association of Peer & Professional Lactation Supporters of Color
National WIC Association
Reaching Our Sisters Everywhere
United States Lactation Consultant Association
USDA, Food and Nutrition Service
This presentation was given by USBC Deputy Director Amelia Psmythe as part of Breastfeeding in the Community: Creating a Culture of Sustainability, the closing meeting of the NACCHO Breastfeeding Project Grantees.