Breastfeeding Advocacy HQ
- Breastfeeding & the Health Care Reform Landscape
- Breastfeeding Appropriations in the Federal Budget
- Fairness for Breastfeeding Mothers Act
- Supporting Workings Moms Act (SWMA)
- Friendly Airport for Mothers (FAM) Act
USBC Action Alerts
- Welcome 115th Congress - Breastfeeding Priorities: Sign our note to welcome the new Congress (either as an individual or as an organization) and ask them to protect and build on federal policies and investments that support our Nation's breastfeeding families! The "asks" in the welcome note have been compiled from YOUR feedback on priority action areas during our National Breastfeeding Month 2016 campaign and from the priority strategies of our national Constellations of member and partner organizations. See the current list of organizational sign ons here.
- Welcome 115th Congress - In-District Visits: Drop off materials to your Members of Congress in their local offices. Welcome packet materials are available online to download and print. For an even bigger impact, make an appointment with a staff member to talk about why it's so important that they do their part to support breastfeeding families, and especially to protect the three breastfeeding-related components of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Talking points are included in the downloadable resources.
- Stories about Breastfeeding Supports in the ACA: Share stories demonstrating why the breastfeeding-related components of the Affordable Care Act are so critical to sustain. Priority story topics include:
- Stories about your experience with the requirement for health plans to cover breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling as a preventive service. Submit your story here!
- Stories about your experience with the requirement for employers to provide break time and a place for employees (nonexempt workers) to express breast milk at work. Submit your story here!
- Stories about your experience with maternity care quality improvement initiatives. Submit your story here!
Partner Action Alerts
- "Defend the Prevention and Public Health Fund: Call Now" (from National Association of County & City Health Officials)
- "Support the Prevention and Public Health Fund: Send an Email Now" (from National Association of County & City Health Officials)
- "For health insurance and prevention: oppose repeal of Affordable Care Act" (from Center for Science in the Public Interest)
- "Protect the Affordable Care Act!" (from American Public Health Association)
- 2017 WIC Legislative & Funding Agenda (from National WIC Association)
- Policy Steps the New President and Congress Can Take to Improve the Health of Women, Children, and Families: A 100-Day Policy Agenda (from Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs)
There are several sources of information on existing state laws and/or pending legislation:
- The National Conference of State Legislatures provides compiled listings of breastfeeding-related state laws;
- The U.S. Department of Labor Women's Bureau publishes a map with details of employment protections for workers who are pregnant or nursing; and
- The National Partnership for Women & Families maintains a work and family policy database with an overview of bills proposed and laws passed in various states.
Toolbox for Breastfeeding Advocates
- How federal laws are made: Project Vote Smart or The Library of Congress
- Legislative session calendars: House, Senate or states
- Tips for Lobbying
- Possible Scenarios for Congressional Meetings
- Existing Breastfeeding Legislation
- Federal Policies & Initiatives Related to Breastfeeding
- Stories collected on "How were you supported to breastfeed?"
Not Sure About Lobbying Rules?
- Resource for Individuals: National WIC Association: "Advocacy vs. Lobbying"
- Resource for Coalitions/Nonprofits: American Bar Association: "Nonprofits & Lobbying: Yes, They Can!"
General Handouts for Legislator Visits
- CDC Breastfeeding Report Cards
- National Immunization Survey Data on Breastfeeding Rates (Note: NIS data published on this webpage may be more recent than what's shown on last CDC Report Card, since Report Card is now only published in even-numbered years)
- CDC mPINC State Reports (survey of Maternity Practices in Infant Nutrition and Care)
- Executive Summary of The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding
- National Prevention Strategy: section on Healthy Eating
- Institute of Medicine Recommendations: Accelerating Progress in Obesity Prevention
- USBC Position Statements
- Position Statements of Other National Organizations (coming soon)