What are creative solutions for break time and space?
Employers and employees in every industry have found creative solutions to make breastfeeding possible. Supporting Nursing Moms at Work: Employer Solutions is a free online resource from the Office on Women's Health that provides businesses with cost-effective tips and solutions for any industry setting. Search by industry or solutions to find options that will work for you.
Space Solution Examples:
- Unused areas like a storage closet, empty office, or meeting room
- Manager's office
- Area that can be partitioned or blocked by a curtain
- Company or personal vehicle with window coverings
- Pop-up tents or temporary walls
- Working from home (if possible)
Break Time Solution Examples:
- Pumping during existing authorized breaks
- Coming in early or staying late to make up for lost time
- "Floating" staff to cover during pumping and other breaks (lunch, bathroom, smoking)
- Bringing a laptop or phone to the pumping space to continue working while pumping (if this works for you)
- Returning to work part-time (if possible)