Connect with the USBC on social media to get the latest breastfeeding news and information:
The United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) joins the U.S. Surgeon General in calling on employers, policymakers, health care providers, families, the media, and the general public to shape an environment that empowers and supports all women to achieve their personal breastfeeding goals. Your input is truly invaluable to this work, and in our role as the national breastfeeding coalition we are thrilled to be able to interact with you.
USBC social media and online communities are intended to be fora for the exchange of information with and among our member and partner organizations and individual supporters in our work "to drive collaborative efforts for policy and practices that create a landscape of breastfeeding support across the United States." Therefore, the content that we share here should be related, not only to breastfeeding, but specifically to advocacy and collaboration to "help make breastfeeding easier."
- Content is provided for informational and sharing purposes only. The posting or sharing of any link, article, or other content item should never be interpreted as endorsement of such item by the United States Breastfeeding Committee, unless specifically noted. USBC has a strict endorsement policy requiring a formal request and approval process. All endorsements will be explicitly listed as such.
- Content posted by users/fans/followers/subscribers does not necessarily reflect the views of the USBC and the USBC is in no way responsible or liable for any such content.
- Unless otherwise noted, posted content is not written by doctors or other health care professionals. The information posted is in no way intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition. If you are concerned about your health, or that of your child, please consult with your health care provider.
- We ask that any promotional posts/links be sent to the Page administrators privately so that we can approve them. Please do NOT post advertising (of products or services) or links to your business. Advertisement posts made without prior permission may be deleted. Repeat posts in violation of this procedure may result in removal from this Page.
SOCIAL MEDIA & COMMUNITY GUIDELINES
The USBC’s focus as a coalition is on collaboration—our mission centers around connecting the many diverse entities working on breastfeeding in all sectors of society. This includes sharing information with member and partner organizations and individual supporters about "happenings" in the breastfeeding world. Recognizing that the USBC serves many constituencies with sometimes different and even conflicting needs, we realize that all users/fans/followers/subscribers and members of online communities will not always agree on all issues before us. Therefore, we ask that everyone interacting with the USBC's social media presence and online communities follow these guidelines:
- The USBC supports ALL moms. This community is dedicated to taking action to support breastfeeding. Please do this in a way that is civil and promotes an overall feeling of safety, comfort, and support for all moms.
- The nature of debate. The USBC values respectful dissent and differences of opinion and practices a philosophy of open debate and constructive conflict amongst its membership and leadership, complemented by unity and enthusiastic support for our common purpose outside of the breastfeeding community. While we are open to debate, we ask that the discourse remain civil, respectful, constructive, and supportive.
- You are communicating with REAL people who have REAL feelings. We encourage you to remember that this type of communication strips all nuance from a message because the reader cannot hear your tone of voice or see your facial expressions or body language. Misunderstandings can easily happen when we are working with just the written word. Please be especially mindful of this while commenting and reading. Readers may infuse a message with a sentiment that wasn't there on the part of the writer. It can be easy to relax our hold on civil conversation in the heat of the moment and hard to make up for it afterward. Please be kind, polite, respectful, and calm even when disagreeing with others.
- Do NOT attack other commenters, whether individuals or organizations. Insults, name calling, disrespect, gossip/speculation, and attacks are not appropriate and will not be tolerated. All such attacks will be deleted.
- Comments about organizations. Do not comment about other organizations (e.g., "Organization A won't post my comment on their Page.") Similarly, do not comment about the operations or governance of the USBC, unless you are an elected or appointed USBC leader or a staff member.
- You do not need to agree with these guidelines, but you do need to respect them. Comments that violate these guidelines will result in the commenter's permissions being blocked.
Thanks for your support in making USBC social media and online communities safe places to exchange information!
Adapted from the Best for Babes Foundation and KellyMom.com Community Guidelines