Surgeon General's Workshop on Breastfeeding and Human Lactation
In 1984, the Office of Surgeon General C. Everett Koop held the first workshop on breastfeeding and human lactation that resulted in the following recommendations:
- strengthen the support of breastfeeding in the health care system
- improve professional education in human lactation and breastfeeding
- develop public education and promotional efforts
- develop a broad range of support services in the community
- initiate a national breastfeeding promotion effort directed to women in the workforce and expand research on human lactation and breastfeeding.
In 1985 and 1991, follow-up reports from the Surgeon General's workshop were developed to describe the various breastfeeding promotion activities emanating from the workshop. For more information, see the following documents: