Action 18. Strengthen existing capacity and develop future capacity for conducting research on breastfeeding
Table of Contents
denotes a USBC member organization listing
- Develop a national consortium on breastfeeding research
- Enhance the training of scientists in basic and applied research on lactation, breastfeeding, and women’s and children’s health
- Key Website Features: News Room, Advocacy HQ, and Coalitions Directory
- Learning Community: Research Learning Community
- Webinar & Conference Archives: Research Coordination
- Webinar & Conference Archives: Research Translation
Action Activities: The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine national databases are available for use by researchers.
Action Activities: 1. We provide a place for aspiring researchers to present their findings by hosting conference sessions to share best practices and science on support of mothers and families.
2. We offer CEUs that can count for health professionals to enhance their training.
3. We have been developing a mentoring program in the Breastfeeding Forum which will hopefully better connect researchers so that they can grow their programs.
Action Activities: Baby Cafes all collect statistical and outcome data on attending populations. This data may prove to be a valuable resource for evaluating effectiveness of community programs.
Action Activities: CGBI provides funding for programmatic breastfeeding research via the Miriam Labbok Acceleration Fund.
Action Activities: CHEER is based at an academic medical center and the program has a long history of publication around breastfeeding and maternal child health interventions in the medical literature. We consider this one of our strongest areas.
Supporting Link: https://www.cheerequity.org/our-publications.html
Action Activities: Because sites are required to report breastfeeding initiation there is opportunity for studies/research to be done at the site and across sites.
Action Activities: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention conducts research studies on a variety of breastfeeding topics.
Supporting Link: http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/research/index.htm
Action Activities: The Human Milk Banking Association of North America routinely provides human milk samples for researchers interested in composition, effectiveness of breastfeeding and breast milk, collection and handling of human milk, and effects of donor milk on growth. HMBANA also collaborates with other national organizations to research chemical load in human milk.
Action Activities: ICEA provides breastfeeding information on the web site for resources for both parents and profession as well as a regularly updated facebook page and blog with current, evidence-based information
Supporting Link: http://icea.org
Action Activities: we are currently developing a program to access the breastfeeding needs of our area
Action Activities: The CBC is currently working with to address childhood obesity through a grant funded by CHDI to increase the number of Baby-Friendly hospitals in the state. Evidence supports the risks associated with type 2 diabetes in children can be reduced through extended breastfeeding.
Supporting Link: http://www.breastfeedingct.org/index.php/research-and-surveillance