USBC Advocacy Day at the Capitol: Wednesday, June 12, 2019
To prepare for the event, the USBC provided a variety of written materials to guide attendees through scheduling their appointments and identifying the policy priorities that would resonate most with their Members of Congress. We connected advocates from the same state so that they could coordinate appointments (nobody was left alone!), and hosted a webinar featuring speakers from Senator Merkley’s office, USBC, MomsRising, National WIC Association, A Better Balance, and Mom2Mom Global to describe the status and key talking points for each policy priority and providing attendees with an opportunity to bring their questions directly to these policy experts. We also prepared and supplied the group with everything they needed for an effective meeting: talking points, state breastfeeding reports, and fact sheets on paid, leave, disparities in breastfeeding rates, workplace accommodations, and more.
Thank you to everyone who participated in this impactful event! Resources are archived below for future advocacy efforts.
Policy Briefing Webinar
This briefing helped advocates learn about this session's breastfeeding policy priorities, provided tips and event logistics to help maximize the experience, as well as offered an opportunity for questions and connections with fellow attendees. Although it was created for Advocacy Day, it provides general context for connecting with legislators during this Congressional Session.
The USBC Advocacy Team developed the following materials to help walk through each step - from scheduling appointments, to knowing what to expect on June 12 or any legislator engagement. Engaging with these resources will help set you up for a successful day of advocating for breastfeeding families. We recommend starting with the Attendee Checklist to get an overview of the process before familiarizing yourself with the other handouts.
- Attendee Checklist
- How to Schedule Appointments
- Preparing for Appointments
- What to Expect in Appointments
- Tips and Tricks for Advocacy Day
- USBC Advocacy Day Congressional Target List
Advocacy Day attendees were provided with materials from USBC and partners on a variety of policy priorities. These resources can be used in advocacy activities beyond Advocacy Day.
- State Breastfeeding Reports
- Family and Medical Insurance Leave (FAMILY) Act
- Addressing Gaps in the Military Parental Leave Program
- Providing Urgent Maternal Protections (PUMP) for Nursing Mothers Act
- Fairness for Breastfeeding Mothers Act
- Pregnant Workers Fairness Act (PWFA)
- General Fact Sheet
- Business Fact Sheet
- For additional background see the A Better Balance report, "Long Overdue: It Is Time for the Federal Pregnant Workers Fairness Act"
- Federal Appropriations for Breastfeeding
- Federal Appropriations for WIC
- Reducing Health Disparities
Thank you for contributing to creating a landscape of breastfeeding support!
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance and guidance.