Conference registration questions? E-mail Conference Planner
Registration Categories & Fees
The main conference program will begin at 7 p.m. on Friday, August 4, and end at 1 p.m. on Sunday, August 6. Registration for the main conference includes all educational and networking sessions, conference materials, Friday’s Opening Dessert Reception, breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday, and all refreshment breaks. There are several categories of registration, with fees as follows:
- State/Territorial Coalition Sponsored Attendee: $275
- As with the previous conferences, each of the breastfeeding coalitions from the 50 states, DC, and U.S. territories (e.g., Puerto Rico) is asked to select two individuals who will receive travel and lodging support (and a reduced registration rate) as a Coalition Sponsored Attendee. Only the two individuals approved by the state/territorial breastfeeding coalitions shown in the USBC Coalitions Directory are eligible to register in this category. Please review the Guidelines for Selection of Attendees.
- Sponsored Attendees' lodging stipend will be deducted from the amount due for registration fee. The only exception to this will be for those attending from the local area who will stay in their homes rather than in the conference hotel. See the Sponsored Attendee Policy & Procedure for details.
The deadline for Coalition Sponsored Attendees to register is Friday, June 30, to ensure sufficient time to book travel reservations by the deadline of Wednesday, July 12.
- Coalition Non-Sponsored Attendee: $325
- This category provides a reduced rate for additional representatives from the state/territorial breastfeeding coalitions (beyond the sponsored attendees), as well as for representatives from local/community breastfeeding coalitions and cultural breastfeeding coalitions, i.e., those formed to serve/represent specific racial/ethnic groups. Note: This rate does not apply to representatives of national organizations.
- WIC State/Territorial/Tribal Breastfeeding Coordinator: $350
- As with past conferences, state/territory/ITO WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators can register at a reduced rate using this registration category, but funds are not available for their travel/lodging support this year. USDA is no longer authorized to provide funding for travel and lodging to WIC State agencies, however, the States may use their Nutrition Services and Administration funding to attend the conference.
- Please note that this registration category and rate may be applied to only one individual per state, territory, or ITO. If your state/territory/ITO WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator position is vacant, or he/she is unable to attend, please have the WIC office designate a substitute WIC employee to receive this discounted rate.
- National Nonprofit Member Organization Representative: $400
- This category is only for the officially appointed representatives of the USBC's National Nonprofit Member Organizations.
- Open Attendee: $450
- Open attendee spaces are available for all others that do not fit in the above restricted registration categories.
See the Optional Event Details webpage for more information on the Advocacy Day of Action.
Renaissance Arlington Capitol View Hotel
2800 S Potomac Ave
Arlington, VA 22202
Reservations online (preferred booking method): please visit the hotel's Attendee Website
Reservations by phone: please call the reservations center at 800-228-9290 and ask for the USBC Membership Meeting/ National Breastfeeding Coalitions Convening
The conference room rate is $139/night, single or double, plus 13.25% tax, and includes complimentary wireless internet in guest sleeping rooms. The deadline to make reservations at the conference rate is Wednesday, July 12, 2017, at 6:00 p.m. ET.
Note: If you are planning on sharing a room with another attendee, please be sure to specify that there are two of you in the room and select the Double/Double bed choice under preferences (section 2) when booking your reservation online. If the online form seems to be limiting you to a King bed room, please reserve it anyway and then e-mail your confirmation number and both guest names to the Conference Planner so we can coordinate with the hotel. We do not recommend calling the hotel by phone with this issue. Please also be sure to give the hotel the name of your roommate (once known), so that they will be allowed to check in to the room even if you've not yet arrived. If you need to find a roommate, please post a note on the Attendee Message Board.
Q: When is the Seventh National Breastfeeding Coalitions Convening?
A: The main conference program will begin at 7 p.m. on Friday, August 4, and end at 1 p.m. on Sunday, August 6.
Q: Who may attend?
A: The conference is open to the public, with advance registration and payment.
Q: How do I connect with a roommate? Will one be assigned to me?
A: One will not be assigned to you. If you’d like to share your room, please post a note on the Attendee Message Board specifying that you have a room and would like a roommate. We recommend that you make a hotel reservation as soon as you have decided to attend, (before the group block deadline of July 12, though rooms may sell out earlier) and THEN seek a roommate. That way you will be assured accommodations at the group rate.
Q: Which DC airport should I fly into?
A: Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) is the closest to the hotel (approx. 5 minutes) and the hotel offers a complimentary airport shuttle. You may also choose to fly into Dulles International Airport (IAD) (approx. 30 minutes without traffic) or Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) (approx. 60 minutes without traffic), however, ground transportation is not provided from these airports, and travel time may vary depending on time of day and traffic. Coalition Sponsored Attendees must have their flights booked by the USBC. See the Sponsored Attendee Policy & Procedure.
Q: Is there a free shuttle to the hotel?
A: Yes, from Reagan National Airport (DCA). At the airport, follow signs to Ground Transportation, then walk outside and to the right, and wait by the Hotel Shuttle sign. The Renaissance and Residence Inn shuttle travels between the hotel and the airport every 20 minutes between 5 a.m. and 12 midnight.
Q: Are children invited?
A: Babies in arms are warmly welcomed. Please be respectful of other conference attendees' ability to hear the sessions, and use your best judgment if you need to temporarily step out of the room. Please use the Attendee Message Board if you’d like to connect with other parents to self-organize child care arrangements for older children.
Q: Is there a space for expression and storage of breast milk?
A: Yes, milk expression accommodations will be available, including refrigeration.
Q: Are meals included with my conference registration fee?
A: The main conference registration includes all educational and networking sessions, conference materials, Friday’s Opening Dessert Reception, breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday, and all refreshment breaks. Dinners are NOT included, however, many moderately priced dining options are within walking distance and the hotel offers several onsite options.
Q: If I'm registering as a Sponsored Attendee, why do I have to pay a registration fee?
A: Sponsored Attendees receive travel and lodging support to attend the conference. Restrictions on the conference funding prohibit paying for food and beverage expenses, however, so Sponsored Attendees pay a registration fee that covers the cost of meals provided as part of the program. Beginning with the 2010 conference, the early/late distinction in registration fees for Sponsored Attendees was eliminated, to simplify the process especially for those who require travel approvals before registering.
Q: If I am a Coalition Sponsored Attendee, how does my travel/lodging support work? What is covered?
A: See the Sponsored Attendee Policy & Procedure.
Q: Does the conference provide continuing education credit?
A: No, the conference does not provide CERPs or other continuing education credit. One goal of the USBC and the conference funders is to encourage diversity within breastfeeding coalition leadership and membership (see Guidelines for Selection of Attendees). Health care is just one of the sectors in which breastfeeding coalitions work, and health care professionals are just one type of attendee encouraged to attend the conference. If the conference offered continuing education credits just to health care professionals (or certain types), it could encourage unbalanced representation or give the impression that only those individuals are encouraged to participate.
Q: What are the options for payment methods?
A: All registration is online, with payment preferred at the time of registration via Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. Where credit card payment methods are unavailable, check payment will be accepted as long as the check is received at the USBC Office address by Friday, July 28. Please proceed with registration now and simply choose "Check" when you get to the Payment Options screen. The system will provide an invoice that you can download as a PDF, but please note that it will not send a confirmation email until payment is received and processed. If the check is not received at the USBC Office address by July 28, your registration space may not be guaranteed. You will receive at least one reminder e-mail before this date, but in the event of a late-arriving check, please contact us to discuss.
If you would like to reserve your registration space with a 50% deposit now, with the remaining balance due by Friday, July 21, please contact us for a special code. Note that this option only applies to credit card payment methods and is not available to Coalition Sponsored Attendees (this is because the amount of funds changing hands is already very low, since CSAs receive their lodging support as a deduction from the registration payment owed to the USBC).
Other questions/concerns about payment methods/process? Please contact us.
Q: What is the registration cancellation policy?
A: To cancel a registration, a written request must be received via e-mail to the USBC Conference Planner, no later than 8:00 p.m. ET on Monday, July 17, 2017. Cancellations received on or before July 17, 2017, will be refunded, less a $50 processing fee. No refunds will be granted for cancellations received after July 17, 2017. NO EXCEPTIONS. The USBC regrets that refunds will not be granted for "no-shows."
- Note for State/Territorial Coalition Sponsored Attendees: In the event of cancellation, the attendee will be responsible for reimbursing the full cost of any travel reservations paid for by the USBC (the value of ticket will be applicable to attendee's future travel).