Conference registration questions? E-mail Conference Planner
Note: All registration is online, with payment required at the time of registration via Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
Main Conference Fees
The main conference program will begin at 7 p.m. on Friday, August 5, and end at 3 p.m. on Sunday, August 7. Registration for the main conference includes all plenary and breakout sessions, conference materials, entry to exhibits, Friday’s Opening Dessert Reception, breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday, and all refreshment breaks. There are several categories of registration, with fees as follows:
- State/Territorial Coalition Sponsored Attendee: $275
As with the previous conferences, each of the breastfeeding coalitions from the 50 states, DC, and U.S. territories (e.g., Puerto Rico), is asked to select two individuals who will receive travel and lodging support (and a reduced registration rate) as a Coalition Sponsored Attendee. Only the two individuals approved by the state/territorial breastfeeding coalitions shown in the USBC Coalitions Directory are eligible to register in this category. Please review the Guidelines for Selection of Attendees.
- Sponsored Attendees' lodging stipend will be deducted from the amount due for registration fee. The only exception to this will be for those attending from the local area who will stay in their homes rather than in the conference hotel. See the Sponsored Attendee Policy & Procedure for details.
- WIC State/Territorial/Tribal Breastfeeding Coordinator: $325
- As with past conferences, state/territory/ITO WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators can register at a reduced rate using this registration category, but funds are not available for their travel/lodging support this year. USDA is no longer authorized to provide funding for travel and lodging to WIC State agencies, however, the States may use their Nutrition Services and Administration funding to attend the conference.
- Please note that this registration category and rate may be applied to only one individual per state, territory, or ITO. If your state/territory/ITO WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator position is vacant, or he/she is unable to attend, please have the WIC office designate a substitute WIC employee to receive this discounted rate.
- Cultural Coalition Attendee: $325
- This category provides a reduced rate for representatives from cultural breastfeeding coalitions, i.e., those formed to serve/represent specific racial/ethnic groups. To access this rate, first please request a Group Profile for the coalition in the USBC Coalitions Directory. The registration key code will be sent to the email provided for the contact person listed on the Group Profile request form.
- Other Coalition Attendee: $375
- This category is for additional representatives from the state/territorial breastfeeding coalitions (beyond the sponsored attendees), as well as for representatives from local/community breastfeeding coalitions.
- Member Organization Representative: $400
- This category is only for the officially appointed representatives of the USBC member organizations.
- Open Attendee: $450
- Open attendee spaces are available for all others that do not fit in the above restricted registration categories. Open attendees do not receive any travel or lodging support.
See the Optional Event Details webpage for more information on the Pre-Conference Workshops, Friends of the USBC Reception, and Advocacy Day of Action.
Crystal Gateway Marriott
1700 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington, VA 22202
The conference room rate is $132/night, single or double, plus 13% tax, and includes in-room Wi-Fi internet. The deadline to make reservations at the conference rate is Monday, July 18, at 6:00 p.m. ET.
Reservations online (preferred booking method): please visit the hotel's Attendee Website
Reservations by phone: please call 1-877-212-5752 and ask for the Sixth National Breastfeeding Coalitions Conference
Note: When booking a shared room, be sure to give the hotel the name of your roommate, so that they will be allowed to check in, even if you've not yet arrived! If you need to find a roommate, please post a note on the Attendee Message Board.
Q: When is the Sixth National Breastfeeding Coalitions Conference?
A: The main conference program will begin at 7 p.m. on Friday, August 5 and end at 3 p.m. on Sunday, August 7.
Q: Who may attend?
A: The conference is open to the public, with advance registration and payment.
Q: How do I connect with a roommate? Will one be assigned to me?
A: One will not be assigned to you. If you’d like to share your room, please post a note on the Attendee Message Board specifying that you have a room and would like a roommate. We recommend that you make a hotel reservation as soon as you have decided to attend, (before the group block deadline of July 18, though rooms may sell out earlier) and THEN seek a roommate. That way you will be assured your own accommodations at the group rate.
Q: Which DC airport should I fly into?
A: Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) is the closest to the hotel (approx. 5 minutes) and the hotel offers a complimentary airport shuttle. You may also choose to fly into Dulles International Airport (IAD) (approx. 30 min without traffic) or Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) (approx. 1 hour without traffic), however, ground transportation is not provided from these airports, and travel time may vary depending on time of day and traffic. Coalition Sponsored Attendees must have their flights booked by the USBC. See the Sponsored Attendee Policy & Procedure.
Q: Is there a free shuttle to the hotel?
A: Yes, from Reagan National Airport (DCA). At the airport, follow signs to Ground Transportation, then walk outside and to the right, and wait by the Hotel Shuttle sign. The Marriott shuttle travels between the hotel and the airport every 30 minutes between 5 a.m. and 12 midnight. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SHUTTLE WILL MAKE A FIRST STOP AT THE CRYSTAL CITY MARRIOTT, BEFORE CONTINUING TO OUR MEETING HOTEL, THE CRYSTAL GATEWAY MARRIOTT.
Q: Are children invited?
A: Babies in arms are warmly welcomed. Please be respectful of other conference attendees' ability to hear the sessions and use your best judgment if you need to temporarily step out of the room. Please use the Attendee Message Board if you’d like to connect with other parents to self-organize child care arrangements for older children.
Q: Is there a space for expression and storage of breast milk?
A: Yes, milk expression accommodations will be available, including refrigeration.
Q: Are meals included with my conference registration fee?
A: The main conference registration includes all plenary and breakout sessions, conference materials, entry to exhibits, Friday’s Opening Dessert Reception, breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday, and all refreshment breaks. Dinners are NOT included, however, many moderately priced dining options are within walking distance and the hotel offers several onsite options.
Q: If I'm registering as a Sponsored Attendee, why do I have to pay a registration fee?
A: Sponsored Attendees receive travel and lodging support to attend the conference. Restrictions on the conference funding prohibits paying for food and beverage expenses, however, so Sponsored Attendees pay a registration fee that covers the cost of their food. Beginning with the 2010 conference, the early/late distinction in registration fees for Sponsored Attendees was eliminated, to simplify the process especially for those who require travel approvals before registering.
Q: If I am a Coalition Sponsored Attendee, how does my travel/lodging support work? What is covered?
A: See the Sponsored Attendee Policy & Procedure.
Q: Does the conference provide continuing education credit?
A: No, the conference does not provide CERPs or other continuing education credit. One goal of the USBC and the conference funders is to encourage diversity within breastfeeding coalition leadership and membership (see Guidelines for Selection of Attendees). Health care is just one of the sectors in which breastfeeding coalitions work, and health care professionals are just one type of attendee encouraged to attend the conference. If the conference offered continuing education credits just to health care professionals (or certain types), it could encourage unbalanced representation or give the impression that only those individuals are encouraged to participate.
Q: I am presenting a breakout panel session, breakfast table topic, and/or poster. Is my travel covered?
A: No travel or lodging support will be provided except to those attending as a State/Territorial Coalition Sponsored Attendee. See the Guidelines for Selection of Attendees.
Q: What is the registration cancellation policy?
A: To cancel a registration, a written request must be received by the USBC via e-mail to email@example.com, no later than 8:00 p.m. ET on Monday, July 18, 2016. Cancellations received on or before July 18, 2016, will be refunded, less a $50 processing fee. No refunds will be granted for cancellations received after July 18, 2016. NO EXCEPTIONS. The USBC regrets that refunds will not be granted for "no-shows."
- Note for State/Territorial Coalition Sponsored Attendees: In the event of cancellation, the attendee will be responsible for reimbursing the full cost of any travel reservations paid for by the USBC (the value of ticket will be applicable to attendee's future travel).