National Breastfeeding Month Campaign
On August 6, 2011, the USBC officially declared that August is National Breastfeeding Month (NBM). We are pleased to announce that this year's NBM campaign will address four different topic areas (one each week), aligned with our Strategic Advocacy Plan goals. Each topic will have action templates for individual advocates and organizations alike, in both the social media and legislative advocacy areas. Please mark your calendar with this schedule and plan to join in the action on any or all of the topics. Stay tuned for updates in the WWW!
- August 4-10: Peer Counseling
- August 11-17: Paid Family Leave
- August 18-24: Maternity Care Practices
- August 25-31: Employer Support
World Breastfeeding Week News
World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is August 1-7. The 2013 theme, Breastfeeding Support: Close to Mothers highlights the important role of breastfeeding peer counselors to help moms reach their personal breastfeeding goal. Check out these WBW highlights and resources:
- The World Alliance for Breastfeeding Advocacy provides valuable information and resources on this year's theme as well as a list of WBW 2013 activities planned around the world and a free downloadable action folder and calendar.
- The International Lactation Consultant Association's WBW Kit is now available and includes several reproducible promotional materials.
- The La Leche League International WBW web page highlights this year's theme, and the WABA Kits are now available in the online store.
- The Big Latch On is happening on August 2 and 3: find a location near you, or sign up to host one!
Fitness Challenge, from Best for Babes and Breastfeeding USA
In honor of National Breastfeeding Month, the Best for Babes Foundation and Breastfeeding USA are launching "Team We've Got Your Back, Babe!" (WGYBB), the first nationwide fitness challenge to get America behind breastfeeding. Choose any fitness goal you like (swim, bike, run, walk, golf, yoga, etc.) and register by August 31 to join participants from across America. Goals must be met on or before October 31, 2013.
New Human Milk Bank Grand Opening, from HMBANA
The Northwest Mothers Milk Bank in Portland, Oregon, has become the twelfth milk bank in the United States to receive accreditation from the Human Milk Banking Association of North America and will begin processing donor human milk this month. It is the first milk bank in the northwest.
Effective Collaboration Resources, from ASTPHND
The Association of State and Territorial Public Health Nutrition Directors Collaboration Project has published a web page with several resources on "Effective Collaboration," designed to help strengthen leadership ability and participation in collaborative projects. The web page includes background information, skill development resources and tools, and examples of successful collaborations. It also provides the newly-released ASTPHND Collaboration Primer which provides an overview of collaboration principles, lists factors that affect successful collaboration, and summarizes ASTPHND's recent experiences in this area.
WIC Business-Community Alliance, from CWA
In the face of major funding challenges for the Women, Infants, Children (WIC) program, the California WIC Association is launching the WIC Business-Community Alliance to broaden support from California's business, healthcare, and non-profit community. The purpose of the Alliance is to highlight WIC partnerships with business and community members and widen the "circle of support" around the California WIC Program.
The Oakland Tribune: "Breast-feeding rates largely depend on hospital where a woman gives birth"