National Breastfeeding Month 2016 (#NBM16)
#SGCTA to Support #Breastfeeding at Five Years: Reflecting Back...Looking Forward
On August 6, 2011, USBC officially declared that August is National Breastfeeding Month. Read the Proclamation.
In recognition of National Breastfeeding Month (NBM), each year the USBC hosts a social media advocacy and/or outreach campaign inviting breastfeeding coalitions, member/partner organizations, and individual supporters to join online actions and conversations to build support for the policy and practice changes needed to build a "landscape of breastfeeding support."
This year's National Breastfeeding Month theme will focus on reflecting back and looking forward in celebration of the five-year anniversary of The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding (SGCTA). Since the launch of the SGCTA in 2011, the breastfeeding field has grown in leaps and bounds. Please join us to lift up the successes of the past five years and share input to shape our collective direction for the next five years.
As the #NBM16 theme crosses all areas of action in breastfeeding—from Families to Communities, Health Care to Employment, Research to Public Health Infrastructure—breastfeeding coalitions and USBC member and partner organizations are encouraged to host their own events and activities showcasing past wins and highlighting priorities for the years ahead. To share events with others in the USBC network, please post them to the #NBM16 Calendar.
National, state, and local organizations and coalitions active in breastfeeding support are encouraged to create or update listings in the SGCTA Action Directory. In addition to showcasing your activities on a special page for each of the Surgeon General's 20 actions, these listings will also facilitate informed reflection and development of connections to new information, resources, and partners. At the end of the month, the Action Directory content will be compiled into a formal report delivered to the Surgeon General.
Organizations and individuals are also invited to participate in two Virtual Town Hall Meetings (see dates below) and to share written comments on priority action areas and associated implementation strategies for the next five years. The written comments will be hosted on separate channels for each sector of the SGCTA. They will be open all month, allowing for continuous feedback. At the end of the month, a team of volunteers will review and compile all the comments received into a report with recommendations for the USBC and its network, including USBC-affiliated Constellations pursuing national action in specific topic areas. The recommendations report will also be delivered to the Surgeon General and the Federal Interagency Breastfeeding Work Group.
USBC-hosted Events: Save the Dates!
- Saturday, August 6, 9-10 pm ET: Coalitions Conference Twitter Chat, Community Engagement for Equity in the First Food Movement (join the conversation at #NBCC16)
- Tuesday, August 16, 2-3 pm ET: Twitter chat with Unlatched author Jennifer Grayson (join the conversation at #NBM16)
- Thursday, August 18, 2-3 pm ET: Virtual Town Hall Meeting 1 (daytime slot)
- Tuesday, August 23, 8-9 pm ET: Virtual Town Hall Meeting 2 (evening slot)
Other Ways to Connect & Participate
- Sign up for News and Action Alerts at www.usbreastfeeding.org/signup.
- Follow us on Twitter (@usbreastfeeding) and "like" us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/usbreastfeeding). Follow the hashtag #NBM16 on social media and share or retweet campaign posts. Be sure to use #SGCTA and #breastfeeding when mentioned in the content of your posts.
- Get materials: print posters for your local clinic, or buy prizes for your NBM event from our CafePress store.
- Help spread the word! Let friends, family, and colleagues know about NBM by sending them this link: www.usbreastfeeding.org/nbm.