National Breastfeeding Month 2017 (#NBM17)
Charting the Course Together
On August 6, 2011, the USBC officially declared that August is National Breastfeeding Month. Read the Proclamation.
In recognition of National Breastfeeding Month (NBM), each year the USBC hosts a social media advocacy and/or outreach campaign inviting breastfeeding coalitions, member/partner organizations, and individual supporters to join online actions and conversations to build support for the policy and practice changes needed to build a "landscape of breastfeeding support."
This year's National Breastfeeding Month theme—Charting the Course Together—will focus on how we can use data and measurement to build and reinforce the connections between breastfeeding and a broad spectrum of other health topics and initiatives. Referencing the Healthy People 2020 (HP2020) objectives and the World Breastfeeding Trends Initiative (WBTI) markers, we will lift up the cross-cutting, collective impact of breastfeeding as a high priority public health issue. As we look ahead to the Healthy People 2030 development process now underway to update our national health objectives, as a field we can "chart the course together" to ensure breastfeeding is incorporated into all relevant areas of the public health agenda.
The #NBM17 theme is intended to spark dialogue on the four "Foundation Health Measures" of Healthy People 2020:
- Breastfeeding and General Health Status
- Breastfeeding and Health-Related Quality of Life and Well-Being
- Breastfeeding and Determinants of Health
- Breastfeeding and Disparities
With this theme, we hope to inspire conversations and actions across the country to raise awareness and advocate for the policy and practice changes breastfeeding families need.
USBC member and partner organizations and state/territorial, local, and cultural breastfeeding coalitions are encouraged to host their own events and activities during #NBM17. To share your actions with others in the USBC network, please post them to the #NBM17 Calendar, and submit them for promotion via USBC Communications Channels
Other USBC-hosted Events
- Saturday, August 5, 7:30-9:30 pm. ET: Open Mic and Social Media Mixer at the Seventh National Breastfeeding Coalitions Convening (join the event virtually at #NBM17)
- Monday, August 7, 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. ET: Breastfeeding Advocacy Day of Action on Capitol Hill
- Ongoing: In-district visits to local Congressional offices (leave-behind materials available)
Other Ways to Connect & Participate
- Sign up for News and Action Alerts at www.usbreastfeeding.org/signup.
- Follow us on Twitter (@usbreastfeeding) and Instagram (@usbreastfeeding). "Like" us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/usbreastfeeding). Follow the hashtag #NBM17 on social media and share or retweet campaign posts.
- Get materials: print posters for your local clinic or buy prizes for your NBM event from our CafePress store.
- Help spread the word! Let friends, family, and colleagues know about NBM by sending them this link: www.usbreastfeeding.org/nbm.