In 1984, the Office of Surgeon General C. Everett Koop held the first workshop on breastfeeding and human lactation that resulted in the following recommendations:
- strengthen the support of breastfeeding in the health care system
- improve professional education in human lactation and breastfeeding
- develop public education and promotional efforts
- develop a broad range of support services in the community
- initiate a national breastfeeding promotion effort directed to women in the workforce and expand research on human lactation and breastfeeding.
In 1985 and 1991, follow-up reports from the Surgeon General's workshop were developed to describe the various breastfeeding promotion activities emanating from the workshop. For more information, see the following documents: