On August 6, 2011, the USBC officially declared that August is National Breastfeeding Month. Read the Proclamation.
Action Across America: A Social Media Advocacy Campaign to Support Breastfeeding Families
In honor of National Breastfeeding Month 2013, the USBC is teaming up with key partners to mobilize action to ensure that every mom is empowered and supported to reach her personal breastfeeding goals. Across the country individual advocates, breastfeeding coalitions, and allied organizations are calling on policymakers to support breastfeeding in ways that will create the strategic policy and systems changes needed to overcome the barriers to breastfeeding success. The "Action Across America" campaign is addressing four different topic areas (one each week of August), aligned with current legislative opportunities.
The United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) invites EVERYONE: our members, breastfeeding coalitions, partners, advocates, health care providers, employers, policymakers, researchers, mothers, families, the media, and YOU!
Engage key Members of Congress through Twitter and in-district office visits to demonstrate the importance of allocating federal resources for breastfeeding support programs, and to educate them on specific bills they can support on behalf of moms and babies.
Each week the "Action Across America" campaign will focus on a different topic area with an aligned legislative goal:
Follow us on Twitter (@usbreastfeeding) and "like" us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/usbreastfeeding). Share posts and links on your own Facebook page. Tweet using the campaign hash tag (#NBM13).
In celebration of National Breastfeeding Month 2013, to combine our voices together to demonstrate to Congress the overwhelming support for breastfeeding families, and call for Congressional action!
There are many way to participate:
- Follow the campaign hashtag #NBM13 on Facebook and Twitter and share or retweet campaign posts.
- Each week, visit this page and click the "Take Action" link next to the week's topic (under "WHEN" section above) to Tweet key Congressional targets with our easy-to-use template messages.
- Visit your legislators while they are home "in district" during the August Congressional recess. Join us for the "Action for the Summer Recess" webinar to learn everything you'll need to know to prepare. Note: If you're not able to view the "live" webinar, you'll be able to access the recording and slides/handouts on the link.
- Help spread the word! Share the campaign with friends and family by sending them this link: www.usbreastfeeding.org/nbm. See additional templates for promotion below…
Campaign Promotion Templates
Facebook: The time is NOW to take Action Across America to ensure that every mom is supported to reach her personal breastfeeding goals. Learn what you can do to support breastfeeding families this National Breastfeeding Month in just two minutes a day. www.usbreastfeeding.org/nbm #NBM13
Twitter: The time is NOW to take Action Across America to support #breastfeeding families. Get involved at www.usbreastfeeding.org/nbm #NBM13
Newsletter: In 2011 the USBC officially declared that August is National Breastfeeding Month (NBM). The NBM 2013 "Action Across America" campaign is addressing four different topic areas (one each week of August), aligned with current legislative opportunities to overcome the barriers to breastfeeding success through strategic policy and systems changes. Each topic has templates for individual advocates and organizations to use to participate in social media and legislative action.
NBM 2013 Weekly Topic Schedule
- August 4-10: Peer Counseling
- August 11-17: Paid Family Leave
- August 18-24: Maternity Care Practices
- August 25-31: Employer Support
There are many ways to participate! Learn more at www.usbreastfeeding.org/nbm.