USBC actively solicits and accepts monetary donations from individuals, corporations, and organizations that wish to further the mission of USBC.
I. Donation Policy
Achieving appropriate donations is essential to USBC’s capacity to fulfill its mission. However, there is a potential that the acceptance of certain donations could compromise the ability of the organization to accomplish its goals or could jeopardize its tax-exempt status. Hence, the following policy applies, and will be prominently displayed on all USBC donation forms:
- USBC does not accept donations or other resources from entities in violation of The International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes.
- USBC strives to be a socially responsible organization. To this end, USBC retains the right to refuse any donation.
- Donations are not influential in determining USBC policy, procedures, or positions.
- Acceptance of support does not constitute endorsement of the products, services, or mission of the donor by USBC or by its member organizations.
- Donor organizations cannot use the USBC name or logo without express written permission of the Board of Directors (BoD) Chair or Executive Director.
II. Unrestricted and Restricted Donations
Donations will only be accepted where there is charitable intent on the part of the donor. USBC is unable to accept donations that are overly restrictive in purpose. The most desirable donations are those with the least restrictions, as unrestricted funds allow the organization to address its most pressing needs. Unless the Board of Directors grants a specific exception, USBC will not accept any donations of a restricted nature.
Additionally, USBC will not accept any donations that:
- Contain a condition that requires any action on the part of the organization that is unacceptable to the Board of Directors
- Contain a condition that the proceeds will be spent by the organization for the personal benefit of a named individual or individuals
- Require the organization to employ a specified person now or at a future date
- Inhibit the organization from seeking gifts from other donors
- Expose the organization to adverse publicity, litigation, or other liabilities
- Require undue expenditures, or involve the organization in unexpected responsibilities because of their source, conditions, or purpose
- Involve unlawful discrimination based upon race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, color, disability, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, and local laws
III. Recognition and Confidentiality
Donors will be recognized with a listing of their names on the USBC website, unless the donor expressly requests anonymity. All requests by donors for anonymity will be honored, except to the extent that USBC is required by law to disclose the identity of donors.
IV. Donor Rights
Donors and prospective donors can contact the USBC Office to discuss the USBC mission, strategic plan, activities, intended use of donated funds, and any questions concerning this donation policy.
V. Acceptance Procedure
Donations from individuals and from USBC members will be accepted immediately upon receipt, unless otherwise specified by the Board of Directors. Policy 17: Donations Compliance Team details the procedure to be followed for solicited and unsolicited donations from non-member organizations and corporations.
VI. Acknowledgment Procedure
USBC will acknowledge receipt of monetary donations in accordance with the federal tax law and will sign any IRS form or other documents necessary for the donor to obtain a tax deduction.