The Fifth National Breastfeeding Coalitions Conference—Transforming Barriers into Bridges: Cultivate Your Community Leadership—was held August 2-4, 2014, in Arlington, Virginia. USBC was thrilled to convene this unique conference once again, with a continued focus on implementation of The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding through enhancement of breastfeeding coalitions' capacity to impact policy, systems, and environmental change. A new objective was added this year to the conference series, focused on developing capacity and commitment to achieving racial equity in breastfeeding support.
Although the conference historically has focused on state-level coalitions (and continued to provide subsidized travel for two attendees per state and U.S. territory), the event name was changed this year to reflect that its purpose and content are truly relevant to all types of breastfeeding coalitions. This includes community-level coalitions and "cultural coalitions," as well as the organizations that are members of USBC as the national breastfeeding coalition.
Download the NBCC 2014 Program Book.
Thank You to our Sponsors & Exhibitors!
Baby Friendly USA, Inc.
Carolina Global Breastfeeding Institute
Institute for Patient Centered Design, Inc.
International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners
JhaZamoras Publishing, LLC
La Leche League USA
Lactation Education Resources
Lactation Education Accreditation and Approval Review Committee
The Milk Mob
Thermo Fisher Scientific
U.S. Lactation Consultant Association
- Develop leaders with knowledge and skills in coalition building and the formation and management of public health collaborations and partnerships, to address state/local contexts and build the necessary infrastructure for success, including:
- Refine the skills of experienced coalition leaders and develop the skills of new (or emerging) coalition leaders;
- Emphasize innovative partnerships and cross-sector collaborations, guided by the framework and five conditions of Collective Impact; and
- Provide a community platform for intentional practice, including collective seeing, learning, and doing, to maximize effectiveness.
- Provide a forum for the sharing and exploration of best practices and lessons learned to enhance impact of coalitions’ work to implement the strategies of The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding, especially in the sections on Communities, Health Care, Employment, and Public Health Infrastructure.
- Develop capacity and commitment to achieve racial equity in breastfeeding support, including skills to identify and support policy strategies to transform structural inequity and exclusion into structural fairness and inclusion.
Conference questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org